Thursday, June 25, 2009

Driver's License

At 9 o'clock this morning, I was scheduled to take my driver's license test. I did not have to take a written test, and after all the paper work (I felt very much like Detective Booth) the instructor gathered his infamous clipboard and requested that we start.

I expected the stereotypical DMV worker (grumpy, cynical, boring, kind of like me haha) but this man was nice and even looked like Santa Clause. No, really. He did. When he got in the car, I mentioned that I was warned of DMV worker's tricks. (Driver's Ed is mostly scare tactics)

"I've been doing driver's tests for 26 years," the instructor sad. "If I had any sadistic ideas, they were just after I began. No, I'm not going to trick you. If I wanted to, I could, and you'd fall for them because I would have had a long to perfect them. Just remember this: If I tell you to turn the wrong way on a one-way street, you'll be headed into oncoming traffic. But guess who will also be headed into oncoming traffic?"

The entire test was about 15 minutes long. It went very quickly, and as soon as I started the ignition, I wasn't scared or nervous at all. Since this town is either packed or deserted on certain streets, I was asked to pull up next to a red jeep.

"Are you going to have me do a parallel park?" I asked.

"Yes," the instructor said. "But I was hoping you wouldn't figure that out so quickly."

It was just behind the jeep, instead of in between two cars. But I did it perfectly. Thank you so much to my dad, who spent many nerve-wracking moments with me as he tried to teach me the manuveurs. With that, and with the grace and mercy of God, I completed the task quite well.

Needless to say, I passed.

*insert huge grin here*

I am now on a probationary license for 9 months, which will pass quickly, I am sure. Now I can go to Target whenever I want...MAHAHA.
blog comments powered by Disqus