Monday, June 29, 2009

Finding Time to Write

It can be a very hard thing, but I like to think that there's one point in your novel where you are dragged to the finish line. Chris Baty (NaNoWriMo.org) referred to it as a magnetic force.

It happens somewhere just past that icky 3/4 mark. But sometimes work and other issues get in the way of that magnetic force. However, writing isn't just the process of putting your fingers to a keyboard, and at slow parts at work, I often imagine my characters in different circumstances. What would they do? How would they react?

In that brainstorming process, sometimes the craziest, most perfect scenarios come to mind, and that night I'm putting them to paper. (Or Microsoft Word)

When I was 5, I used to call it playing with my imaginary friends. Now, I call it plotting. Besides, Detective Booth and Marla are so much more agreeable than some of my customers...more to tell!
blog comments powered by Disqus