Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Little Rat On My Head....

I worked six days in a row, each a 7 1/2 - 8 hour shift. Last Thursday, I got my driver's license. Whhaaat?? However, yesterday was my first day off in a week, and I spent the day wrestling with my stomach.

Yesterday I called into work because I didn't think I would be able to work the 6:30 - 2 shift. My stomach doesn't handle mornings well on good occaisions, and I could barely handle the afternoon shift on Sunday. Such a trusting little Christian I am, I anticipated being really sick, and my parents are gone for all of today. I didn't want to be sick my second time driving alone!

I slept from midnight to 7:15, and then 8 to 10:30. I curled up in bed and went on my iPod for a while, and then went downstairs to prepare lunch. I made French baguettes and a French cake recipe (I Maryfied the instructions, but I think it'll be okay).

At 1, I took a fresh, hot baguette, sliced it, and put cheese, packaged deli meat, pickles, tomatoes, and butter on it. It was quite amazing, and I ate it while watching a Planet Earth episode on the deep sea. Then I made the frosting from scratch, no recipe, just adding great amounts of anything unhealthy I could find. Then I watched some more Planet Earth. Then I took a 45 minute nap. Then I made dinner.

Dinner...I am quite excited about. I've recently discovered that God has given me the ability to make something I want with no recipe. Sometimes I do internet searches (common ingredients, how long to cook potatoes, etc), but I like to feel as though I'm channeling Ratatouille. It's so much fun!

I made soup. I've seen my mom make soup a million times, but I didn't want to make something ordinary. I filled a large sauce pan with about 1/3 of gallon of Ice Mountain water (I loathe our tap water). I poured in a fair amount of egg noodles, that softened faster than I wagered. I poured in a can of cream-of-chicken soup and added about 3 teaspoons of chicken base. I also chopped up some carrots and added diced tomatoes and numerous spices: dill weed, minced onion, a bay leaf, a little garlic, celery salt, parsley and basil. Then I chopped up four small potatoes and boiled them in another saucepan (hence the search for how long to boil potatoes) and added them.

I heated up a baguette and voila!!

Now I'm off to write about the things happening in Maple Haven.
blog comments powered by Disqus