Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Melonhead

Yes, that is a swan made out of honeydew melon. No, I did not make it. I wish it did! I learned how to do it, and looks like a lot of fun! I did, however, make a 1970's grass plant vase (green onion and a peeled yellow squash).

(So classy!)

What I had the most fun making was a seahorse dewberry melon. One of the chefs printed out a picture of a seahorse, which I traced into a more basic image, and then eye-balled that image by pen onto the melon.

I used a paring knife to cut out the pen marks. So, you make one cut with the blade straight, and then another cut with the blade at an angle. That way, you end up exposing more of the dark interior. Luckily, I've seen 4.5 seasons of Bones, so I didn't need a lot of help with that part. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's probably better that way)

I used a curved tool (you can sort of see it on the lower right) to make the ridges.

The chef suggested that I make waves, so I did.

I shaved off the area around the seahorse and above the waves...(I love its little wings! They turned out so cute.)

There you can see the waves better...

I took out the background, so now it's bowled out and ready for fruit to be put in it. Wouldn't it look great with watermelon balls inside? Mmmm. After today, I am SO hungry for watermelon!


(A behind shot of the seahorse.)

So now I want to research what other people have done in the art of fruit carving! If you know of any sites, or have any pictures to share, please post a link in the comments!
blog comments powered by Disqus